Sunday, June 14, 2009

Welcome to the Darkside!

Well, I've finally taken the leap... a little over a week ago, I took the plunge and bought my first Mac. It was not a decision to be entered into lightly. Of course, the creative side of me has been salivating over Macs for quite some time... however, having worked in the enterprise space, I've been subjected to endless advice from the IT departments about why Macs are just not a good fit for the business world. When you filter that advice with the thought of an IT department looking at a machine that seldom breaks down or attracts a virus, it's easy to see how self preservation sets in for corporate America. Also, in today's economic environment, it's easy to see why the pricetag drives away a lot of folks doing the financial decision making. 

However, as an entrepreneur starting a new venture, I'm at a place to be able to determine the platform my business is going to run on. So, after much over-analyzing, and posing the question to my online community of Facebook & Twitter, I took all the input and caved to my own selfish desire to go against the grain. 

So far, I haven't really run into any of the dreaded roadblocks that are supposedly waiting for me in the non-pc world. Granted, it's a bit of a pain to have to re-learn all of the short cuts on the Mac that were second nature on the pc... but in the end, I'm finding the output to be far superior on the Mac. 

Also, as the entrepreneur in a new venture, I would just as soon have the genius bar as my IT department for a while. :-)

I am, however, still interested in hearing further input on this whole Mac vs PC battle. Especially since, I don't think the battlefield is finished being developed. Both Macs & PC makers have taken great steps toward gaining a second look from past die-hards. Mac has really stepped up their business application toolkit, and with the parallel windows option, it's hard to imagine why a Mac wouldn't be a fit in any situation. However, with the current price consciousness in the marketplace, it's becoming more difficult for Apple to maintain that Total Cost of Ownership over time is similar to that of a PC. Especially with Netbooks starting at around $200, there's really not a comparable "basic" alternative for a business to outfit it's workstations.  

What are your thoughts on this whole debate?

1 comment:

  1. Wecome to the Darkside Topher. You're going to love it here!

    ReplyDelete